What’s your Antarctic? What terrifies you? What would you love to achieve?
The Shackleton Foundation believes everyone has an ‘Antarctic’. This is a personal challenge you have, something that maybe scares you, but a challenge you would also secretly love to conquer.
Your Antarctic could be anything large or small. It could be finally plucking up the courage to jump from the high diving board or it could be launching yourself out of a plane, and everything in-between.
‘My Antarctic’ invites you to take on this fear or challenge, whilst at the same time raising money for a great cause. Every single penny raised from every single challenge goes to provide funding for this generation of inspirational leaders, tackling some of the biggest problems in our society, from rehabilitating young offenders to inspiring young people to make the most of their lives.
The ‘My Antarctic’ campaign coincides with the centenary of Sir Ernest Shackleton’s famed 1914 Endurance mission, and over the course of a year, 1000 participants will take on their Antarctic and raise a personal target of £200 for the charity.
There will be prizes for the most money raised and the strangest, funniest, most daring, and coldest Antarctic challenges.
So, if you’d like to get involved, here are some suggested ‘My Antarctic’ challenges that people we know are taking on:
- Learning to sing, dance or play a musical instrument and putting on a public performance.
- Modelling for a life drawing class
- Learning to ride a bike and entering a 5k cycle race
- Learning to swim/swimming 10k
- Climbing the Shard with a fear of heights
- Going from no exercise to running a half marathon
- Having a go at stand-up comedy
- Handling snakes and spiders and all kinds of other scary creatures
- Learning to dive and taking the PADI diving test
- Taking their driving test in central London
- Shaving their head
- Retaking their maths GCSE
But remember, your ‘My Antarctic’ challenge should be something that’s personal to you – your own fear or personal challenge.
So, if you’ve ever wanted to take on your fears or do something crazy, then this is your opportunity.
Just choose your ‘My Antarctic’ challenge and set up your Virgin Money Giving Account.
If your Antarctic is something so big that you need our support in organising it, please get in touch.